May 3, 1920 – December 30, 2006
Norwich – The Most Reverend Michael R. Cote, Bishop of Norwich, will celebrate a Funeral Mass for Reverend Hugh J. Murphy, 86, retired priest of the Diocese of Norwich, Saturday, January 6, 2007, at noon, in Most Holy Trinity Church, 568 Pomfret Street, Pomfret, CT. Burial will be in St. Mary Cemetery, Putnam.
Father Murphy died on Saturday, December 30, 2006, at Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford, Maine. He resided in Biddeford, Maine, since 2004.
The Reception of the Body will be held at Most Holy Trinity Church on Friday, January 5, 2007, at 3 p.m. and a Parish Mass will be celebrated at 5 p.m. Father Murphy’s body will lie in state at Most Holy Trinity Church from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m.
A native of Pomfret, he received his early education at St. Mary School, Putnam, and Putnam High School. He graduated from The College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA, in 1942, and then served until 1946 with the Military Intelligence branch of the U.S. Army.
A World War II veteran, Father Murphy was a U.S. Army officer in the European Theater of Operations, and participated in the D-Day invasion, the Battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of Europe with the 3rd Army. Father Murphy gave the invocation at the Battle of the Bulge 50th anniversary ceremonies commemorating the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne, Belgium in 1994.
After leaving military service, he was employed by the American Screw Co. of Willimantic for nine years before entering St. John Seminary, Brighton, MA, in 1955.
The Most Reverend Bernard J. Flanagan ordained Father Murphy to the priesthood for the Diocese of Norwich, February 7, 1959, in his home parish of Most Holy Trinity Church, Pomfret. His assignments included: assistant at All Saints Church, Somersville, 1959 – 1960; St. Joseph Church, New London, 1960 – 1963; St. Agnes Church, Niantic, 1963 – 1964; St. Michael Church, Pawcatuck, 1964 – 1965. Father Murphy was named pastor of St. Columba, Columbia, a position he held from 1966 – 1971, and then pastor of St. Edward, Stafford Springs, 1971 – 1977.
Father Murphy was appointed Assistant Director of the Family Life Apostolate, Willimantic area in 1966. He was named the first Executive Director of the Annual Bishop’s Appeal of the Diocese of Norwich by Bishop Daniel P. Reilly on January 20, 1978. He served in that position until 1981.
He was assigned to residence at Sacred Heart Church, Norwichtown, in 1978, and in residence at the Cathedral of St. Patrick, Norwich, in 1980. He was pastor of St. Stephen Church, Quinebaug from1984 until he retired on February 4, 1987.
Father Murphy was the son of the late Hugh and Elizabeth (O’Boy) Murphy, He was the eldest of three children and he was predeceased by his brother, James Murphy, and his sister, Florence Murphy. He is survived by his cousin, Bernadette “Bo” Finlay Parker of Biddeford, Maine.
The Gilman Funeral Home, 104 Church Street, Putnam, CT, is in charge of arrangements. The telephone number is 860-928-7723.