Planning ahead for a funeral not only lets our survivors know what our wishes are, but it can also take a weight off of our shoulders and ease the burden on our families when the time comes. Pre-planning a funeral is something we offer at no cost to you.
Pre-arrangements can be made in any environment that is comfortable to you, whether it be in our arrangement office or in your own home, we will accommodate your needs.
During our lives we plan for many situations: education, having a family, vacations, weddings, and especially our retirement; however, many neglect to plan their funeral as it is a realization of our own mortality. Since we purchase insurance to help us in situations that may happen, such as accidents, earthquakes, fire, floods, and theft, we should also consider the pre-planning of our funeral service as it not only lets our survivors know what our wishes are, but it can also prevent financial hardship.
1. Why do people pre-arrange their service?
- You are able to make rational and logical decisions, saving your family the burden of having to make them under times of grief and stress.
- You are assured your wishes are known and will be carried out as specified and obtain peace of mind. You have the opportunity to discuss options with our funeral professional and also with your family, church, friends, etc.
- It will not be a financial burden on your family. You can select the services and merchandise according to your wishes, spiritual beliefs and budget, either by pre-paying for the services or having the monies set aside.
2. What is involved in making pre-arrangements?
- Recording personal information that is required for Vital Statistics. This consists of full name, address, spouse’s name, occupation, birth date, birthplace, parent’s names and birthplaces, and your next of kin or executor.
- Making service choices. Funeral or memorial service, burial, cremation, entombment, or transfer to another city, music selections, and participants (family and/or friends), to create a meaningful service.
- Making specific selections. The selection of a casket or cremation container, an urn, a burial or urn vault, and a monument or memorial marker.
- Arranging a payment plan. The services do not have to be prepaid, but the costs will be guaranteed not to increase if payment is made at one time or by monthly payments.
3. Why pre-arrange with Gilman & Valade Funeral & Cremation Service?
- It is FREE. There is no membership fee or filing charges to record your wishes for your services.
- Gilman & Valade Funeral & Cremation Service is locally owned and operated and has been serving the Northeastern Connecticut for over 85 years. Our qualified and experienced staff, convenient location, well-appointed, handicap-accessible facilities and ample parking are important to many attending services.
- Feel at home or be at home. The arrangements can be made in our well-appointed facilities or in the comfort of your own home.
- If you are considering pre-payment of your funeral, we believe this plan is the best funeral pre-payment plan available. “The Inflation-Proof Plan” guarantees funeral costs at today’s prices and eliminates inflation.